1. To help ensure the health, safety and well-being of your child;
2. To diagnose, document and address any medical conditions resulting from abuse;
3. To differentiate medical findings that may indicate abuse from those that may be explained by other medical conditions, or caused by accident;
4. To assess the child for any developmental, emotional or behavioral problems needing further evaluations and treatment and make referrals as necessary;
5. To reassure and educate the child and non-offending caregiver(s).
The Southern Arizona Children’s Advocacy Center has 2 on-site specially trained pediatric SANE (sexual abuse nurse examiners) nurses who specialize in sexual abuse cases and are able to immediately provide quality assessments and care to children who visit the Center. In addition, the Center contracts with Banner Health and has an on-call pediatric doctor who serves as our medical director.
Having these services available in our building means there is no need for families to travel to another location, deal with the long waiting times associated with emergency rooms, and have medical services provided by someone who may not be specialized in caring for child abuse victims.