Hi friends! With the weather finally warming up and spring right around the corner, now is a great time to get ready for some spring cleaning! Clear out those junk drawers, throw out those ratty toys (I managed to eat the eyes out of some deserving stuffed animals), and make room in your closet for shorts and tank tops. Even though I’m a dog, I can be just as curious as a cat and get into things I probably shouldn’t. There are many things in your home that can be dangerous to kids and pets and it’s a good idea to be aware, educated on dangers, and keep items out of reach that could cause harm. Below are some helpful poison safety tips to share with your family to keep your loved ones safe!
- Be sure all household products are out of children’s reach and sight, including bleach, detergents, dishsoap, and any kind of cleaning solution.
- Put child safety locks on cabinets where cleaning supplies and other poisonous items are stored.
- Read product labels to learn what items are hazardous to kids and animals- dangerous items could include makeup, plants, pesticides, lead, art supplies, and alcohol.
- Don’t leave poisonous products unattended while in use and be sure an adult is around if kids are using these products.
- Keep cleaning products in their original container that way there are labels and the item doesn’t get mistaken for something else.
- Throw out old medicines and other possible poisonous items. Check your garage and/or other storages spaces for cleaning supplies you no longer need and throw them out.
- If there is ever an emergency with a potentially poisonous item call 911 immediately!
- For poison and drug information contact Poison Control at 1 (800) 222-1222 or http://azpoison.com/
Stay safe, my friends!