Snacks Are Served!
School is finally out, the sun is shining bright, and everyday feels like a Saturday! Yay for summer time! Summer is a great time to meet up with friends, catch up on the newest flicks, and travel with your family. During all this excitement and tail wagging, it’s important to not go too crazy on all the delicious junk food that may be lying around the house. Snacks don’t always have to consist of ice cream, chips, or cookies (although those are my favorite- Mmmm….milkbones….). There are a lot of healthy options when it comes to choosing an afternoon snack that will leave you feeling satisfied and give you energy for those evening activities.
- Freeze juice or yogurt for a fun homemade popsicle
- Ants on a log (AKA celery, peanut butter, and raisins), pretty much peanut butter with any fruit is a win for me!
- Smoothies- mix up some fruit and yogurt/juice in a blender (with parents’ help, of course!) for a tasting, cold drink
- Baggie up some dried fruit (raisins, cherries, prunes, apples) for an easy on-the-go snack
- Whole grain crackers, toast, or tortillas- try with some cheese, fruit, or jelly
- Granola- add some yogurt or fruit to zest it up!
- Popcorn (no need to add butter or salt, it’s delicious the way it is)
- Rice cakes- add some peanut butter for extra flavor
I hope this gives you a start to smart summer snacking. Enjoy my friends!
“bone” appétit, Russell